Tuition and Residency

Tuition Banding

The Humphrey School is committed to providing students a great education at a great value. To encourage and support students to complete their degree full-time in two years, tuition banding is established for the MDP, MHR, MPP, MS–STEP, and MURP degree programs. Students enrolled in the MPA program are charged per credit.

For tuition banding, all credits per semester within the band cost the same:

  • 6-15 credits per semester for MPP, MHR, MURP, MS–STEP
  • 6-16 credits per semester for MDP

Credits above or below the band are charged per credit at the appropriate resident or non-resident tuition rate. 

Tuition Rates

2019–2020 Rates



MDP,* MHR, MPP, MS–STEP, MURP (6–15 credits)

Per credit



6–15 credits



Each credit over 15



*MDP tuition allows for 6-16 credits due to program requirements. MDP students are responsible for the cost of the required summer field experience; partial funding is typically available.

MPA (per credit only)

Per credit



Estimated Cost of Attendance

You can use the University of Minnesota's cost of attendance calculator to estimate costs for full-time study at the Humphrey School. Estimates are based on the maximum allowable costs for the current academic year (9 months).

Please note, when calculating tuition into the University’s estimates for the cost of attendance, there is a difference between the Graduate School tuition rates and the Humphrey School tuition rates. You are not charged both rates, but while most calculations should use the Humphrey School rates, the Graduate School rates are used for others (i.e., graduate assistantship benefits).

Residency and Reciprocity

Minnesota residents pay in-state tuition rates, which are lower than tuition rates assess to non-Minnesota residents. Qualified students who are residents of Manitoba, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin, benefit from a long-standing reciprocity agreement, paying tuition rates equal to in-state rates. 

Tuition reciprocity is not automatic. Students must apply and qualify for reciprocity through the higher education office in their state of residence. 

Please note that students participating in off-campus study, study abroad, or who take time off for an academic year or more must reapply for reciprocity. For more information about the University's reciprocity policies, download the brochure on residency, reciprocity and tuition exemptions. Answers to frequently asked questions are available in the reciprocity question and answer guide.