Frequently Asked Questions

Applying for graduate school is a big decision, and you will undoubtedly have questions along the way.

This page includes many of the frequently asked questions our admissions team receives during the application process. 

For more information on the Humphrey School and our programs, make sure to check out the following resources:

Humphrey School of Public Affairs viewbook 

Humphrey School of Public Affairs facts and figures

Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all

How do I visit the Humphrey School?

While the Humphrey School does not offer tours, students are more than welcome to visit campus, explore the facilities, and schedule a visit to meet with Admissions staff. Attending an information session is also an excellent way to learn more about the School and our programs.

What is the GRE code for the University of Minnesota? (The GRE requirement is suspended for fall 2024 applications.)

Note: The Humphrey School has suspended the GRE requirement for all master's degree programs for the fall 2024 admissions cycle.  

With the exception of the MPA program, an official GRE score report must be received directly from ETS before an official admissions notification will be made. You may upload your personal copy from ETS into the additional materials section of the Graduate School online application to facilitate initial review of your application. The school code for the University of Minnesota is 6874.

Where do I get information about cost and financial aid?

All information on tuition and residency, merit-based financial aid, need-based financial aid, and graduate assistantships can be found on our Tuition & Financial Aid page.

Can I transfer credits from another college or university?

Yes, you can transfer in credits to equal up to 40 percent of the credits required for your degree program.

  • MHR & MPP: up to 18 credits
  • MURP: up to 19 credits
  • MS-STEP: up to 16 credits
  • MPA: up to 12 credits

Note: These credits must be taken at the graduate level and cannot have been applied toward a previous degree. Graduate courses taken before receiving your bachelor’s degree cannot be applied toward a graduate degree at the University of Minnesota. A maximum of 8 credits toward a previous degree can be applied to a Humphrey School degree. Any credits taken at the Humphrey School prior to admission to a degree will count as transfer credits.

Can Humphrey School coursework taken as an undergraduate apply toward my master’s?

Humphrey School and other graduate courses taken before receiving your bachelor’s degree cannot be applied toward your master's degree at the Humphrey School. You will not be required to take the courses again, but cannot count those courses toward the credits required for your degree.

Do I have to submit both dual degree applications at the same time?

No, you need not apply to both programs at the same time, although we recommend it so that you can plan your courses efficiently. See more about Humphrey degree programs in our Find Your Program section, including information on dual degree programs and graduate minors.

Can I take classes at the Humphrey School before I am admitted?

Yes, you can take courses as a non-degree seeking student. These credits must be taken A–F and for graduate credit if you would later like to apply them to your program. Follow this link for instructions on how to register for courses as a non-degree seeking student. Note that any credits taken at the Humphrey School or the University of Minnesota prior to admission to a Humphrey School degree will be considered transfer credits.

Can I take classes if I am not seeking a degree?

Yes, you can! Find more information about course registration on our Non-Degree Seeking Students page.

Can I complete my degree by enrolling part time?

Most of our degrees can be completed by attending part time. The only program that cannot be completed part-time is our Master of Development Practice (MDP). Keep in mind that not every course for our degrees is offered in the evening, so you may need some flexibility in your schedule to attend less than full time. The MPA, MPP, and MHR degrees are easiest to complete with mostly evening coursework.

Can I switch to part-time student status?

Yes. You can enroll for as many or few credits as you need to in any given semester.

Are international applicants required to take the TOEFL or IELTS?

Yes, if you are an international student whose native language is not English.

 If you earned your bachelor’s degree from or completed two or more semesters at an English-speaking institution within the past 24 months (or have lived in the U.S. continuously since completing a degree or two or more semesters of coursework), you may be exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement. The Humphrey School requires a minimum score of 100 on the TOEFL iBT and 7 on the IELTS for consideration for admission.

Is financial aid available for international applicants?

Yes, international applicants are eligible for merit-based aid. See the Merit-Based Aid section of our Tuition & Financial Aid page for more information.

When will I hear back about merit-based financial aid?

If you applied before the December 15th or January 15th deadlines, you will hear back about merit-based aid in mid-March. Please note that this information will be released separately from your decision notification.

How can I connect with current students and faculty?

Contact the admissions team to connect with current students and faculty. You can email [email protected] or call 612-624-3800.

Where can I apply for an application fee waiver?

The Humphrey School provides application fee waivers for Pickering Fellows, PPIA Fellows, Truman Scholars, Americorps, City Year, and Returning Peace Corps Volunteers applying for the Peace Corps/Coverdell Fellowship. Additionally, McNair Scholars may qualify for a University of Minnesota McNair Application Fee Grant which pays for the cost of an application fee. A limited number of waivers are also available for applicants based upon financial need.

Who can I contact for more information about certificate programs?

Here is the contact information for all certificate programs:

I am an admitted student and would like to visit campus to learn more. How can I do this?

Spring Visit Days provide admitted students with a chance to visit the Humphrey School and learn more about the programs. These events will feature staff, faculty, students, and alumni of the Humphrey School. There will be program-specific breakout sessions where you will be able to learn how your program that admitted you can help impact the world. Learn more about Spring Visit Days.

How can I ensure that I have a strong application?

Great question! Watch our video with tips to help you create a strong application. If you still have further questions after watching the video, feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].