How do I visit the Humphrey School?
Attending an information session is one of the best ways to learn more about the School and our programs.

How do I apply to the Humphrey School?
Admissions deadlines, process, “Apply Now” online application link, and more.  

What is the GRE code for the University of Minnesota?

Where do I get information about cost and financial aid?
Learn more about assistance that may help you finance your degree program including:  Merit-based aid, Need-based aid, Residency and Reciprocity information.   

Can I transfer credits from another college or university?
Yes, you can transfer in credits to equal up to 40 percent of the credits required for your degree program.
MHR & MPP: up to 18 credits
MURP: up to 19 credits
MS–STEP: up to 16 credits
MPA: up to 12 credits

Note: These credits must be taken at the graduate level and cannot have been applied toward a previous degree. Graduate courses taken before receiving your bachelor’s degree cannot be applied toward a graduate degree at the University of Minnesota. A maximum of 8 credits toward a previous degree can be applied to a Humphrey School degree. Any credits taken at the Humphrey School prior to admission to a degree will count as transfer credits.

Can Humphrey School coursework taken as part of my undergraduate degree apply toward my master's degree?
Humphrey School and other graduate courses taken before receiving your bachelor’s degree cannot be applied toward your master's degree at the Humphrey School. You will not be required to take the courses again, but cannot count those courses toward the credits required for your degree.

If I decide to apply to a dual degree program, do I have to submit both applications at the same time?
No, you do not need to apply to both programs at the same time, although we recommend it so that you can plan your courses efficiently. See more information about Humphrey degree programs.

Is it possible to take Humphrey School classes before I am admitted to a degree program?
Yes, you can take courses as a non-degree seeking student. These credits must be taken A–F and for graduate credit if you would later like to apply them to your program. Find instructions on how to register for courses as a non-degree student. Note that any credits taken at the Humphrey School or the University of Minnesota prior to admission to a Humphrey School degree will be considered transfer credits.

If I applied to the Humphrey School as a full-time student, can I switch to part-time status?
Yes. You can enroll for as many or as few credits as you need to in any given semester.

Can I complete my degree by enrolling part-time?
Most of our degrees can be completed by attending part time. The only program that cannot be completed part-time is our Master of Development Practice (MDP). Keep in mind that not every course for our degrees is offered in the evening, so you may need some flexibility in your schedule to attend less than full time. The MPA and MPP, and MHR degrees are easiest to complete with mostly evening coursework.

Can I take classes if I am not seeking a degree?
Yes. Learn about registration for non-degree seeking students

FAQs for International Students

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may need to meet different requirements or qualify for special programs at the University.

Am I required to take the TOEFL or IELTS?
Yes, if you are an international student whose native language is not English.

If you earned your bachelor’s degree from or completed two or more semesters at an English-speaking institution within the past 24 months (or have lived in the U.S. continuously since completing a degree or two or more semesters of coursework), you may be exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement. The Humphrey School requires a minimum score of 100 on the TOEFL iBT and 7 on the IELTS for consideration for admission.

When should I take the TOEFL or IELTS?

Please plan to take the TOEFL/IELTS at least four weeks before the application deadline by which you are applying.

Is financial aid available for international applicants?

Yes, international applicants are eligible for merit-based aid. See our site on financial aid for incoming students for more information.


225 Humphrey School
301 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455

Dean Laura Bloomberg
Students come to the Humphrey School because they believe in making difference. Our alumni are mayors, legislators, nonprofit directors, grassroots organizers, and corporate executives; their work affects people and communities across the globe. I believe our role as a School is to nurture our students' passion for tackling important issues here and abroad, ensuring they have the tools necessary to make a lasting impact on our planet.
Laura Bloomberg, Dean