Cost & Aid

Estimated Cost of Attendance

The University of Minnesota determines the estimated cost of attendance (COA) for full-time study at the Humphrey School of Public Affairs based on the maximum allowable costs calculated for the expenses of the current academic year (9 months).  The COA includes tuition and required fees, the student health benefit plan, and estimated costs for books and supplies, room and board, transportation, and other miscellaneous expenses.  Official and detailed information on estimated total cost of attendance can be found through the University of Minnesota One Stop Student Services.

Tuition Banding

The Humphrey School is committed to providing students a great education at a great value.  To encourage and support students to complete their degree full-time in two years, tuition banding is established for the MDP, MHR, MPP, MS-STEP, and MURP degree programs.  All credits per semester within the band cost the same (6-15 credits per semester for MHR, MPP, MURP, MS-STEP, 6-16 credits per semester for MDP).  Credits above or below the band are charged per credit at the appropriate resident/nonresident tuition rate.  Students enrolled in the MPA program are charged per credit.

Tuition Rates

2017-2018 Academic Year



MPP, MHR, MURP, MS-STEP (6-15 credits per semester)

MDP (6-16 credits per semester)


($1,588 per credit)


($2,315 per credit)


$1,341 per credit

$2,104 per credit

2017-18 Graduate School tuition rates are $16,728 and $25,884 per year (6-14 credits per semester) for Resident and Nonresident rates, respectively.

Please note, when calculating tuition into the University’s estimates for the cost of attendance, there is a difference between the Graduate School tuition rates and the Humphrey School tuition rates.  You are not charged both rates, but while most calculations should use the Humphrey School rates, the Graduate School rates are used for others (i.e. graduate assistantship benefits). 

Residency and Reciprocity

Minnesota residents pay in-state tuition rates, which are lower than tuition rates assess to non-Minnesota residents.  Qualified students who are residents of Manitoba, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin benefit from long-standing reciprocity agreements, paying tuition rates equal to the discounted Minnesota resident rates.  Tuition reciprocity is not automatic.  Students must apply and qualify for reciprocity benefits through the higher education office in their state of residence.  Please follow the appropriate link for more information:

In general, students may gain Minnesota resident tuition benefits if they have not lived in the state of Minnesota for one full calendar year without attending a college or university being the main purpose for living in the state (i.e. full-time enrollment in an academic program/institution).  Students who leave the state of Minnesota for more than one calendar year for any purpose other than to attend a college, university, or for military purposes may lose their Minnesota residency status for tuition purposes.  For more information about the University’s reciprocity policies, download a detailed brochure on residency, reciprocity, and tuition exemptions. You may also see answers to frequently asked questions in the reciprocity question and answer guide