Charles R. Krusell Fellowship
The Krusell Fellowship is designed to increase the supply of highly trained community development professionals from indigenous communities and communities of color, to improve the representation of communities of color in agencies that serve those communities, and provide hands-on work experience to ensure students are prepared to meet the challenges in this ever-evolving field.
Krusell Fellows receive full tuition support and graduate research assistantships with community development or planning agencies. The program is a partnership between the Humphrey School and the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA).
How to Apply
Students applying for the Master of Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) and Master of Public Policy (MPP) programs are eligible to apply. Applicants will need to:
- Submit a completed application for admission to either the MURP or MPP program
- Complete the Krusell Fellowship application form
- Submit a two-page essay detailing their interest in the Krusell Fellowship. Instructions on how to submit this document are included in the application form. The essay should address the following:
- Applicant’s interest and experience in housing and community/economic development issues
- What skills would the applicant like to build on or develop
- What experiences would they like to obtain
- A vision for a career in community development
- The applicant’s willingness to stay in the Twin Cities area after graduation
- January 15: Completed application for admission to either the MURP or MPP program and Krusell Application materials due
- March 15: Award notifications sent
Charles Krusell was a pillar in the Twin Cities development community and left an indelible mark on every effort he undertook. A champion for public housing, Mr. Krusell was an ardent advocate for urban renewal in the neighborhoods that needed it most. The Charles R. Krusell Fellowship (“Krusell Fellowship”) honors his lifetime contributions to affordable housing and community development in the Twin Cities.