Tuition and Financial Aid

Tuition Banding

The Humphrey School is committed to providing students a great education at a great value. To encourage and support students to complete their degree full-time in two years, tuition banding is established for the MDP, MHR, MPP, MS–STEP, and MURP degree programs. Students enrolled in the MPA program are charged per credit.

For tuition banding, all credits per semester within the band cost the same:

  • 6–15 credits per semester for MPP, MHR, MURP, MS–STEP
  • 6–16 credits per semester for MDP

Credits above or below the band are charged per credit at the appropriate resident or non-resident tuition rate. 

Expand all

2023–2024 master's degree tuition rates

MDP*, MHR, MPP, MS–STEP, MURP (6–15 credits)

2023–2024 rates Resident Nonresident
Per credit $1,815.00 $2,647.00
6–15 credits $10,890.00 $15,882.00
Each credit over 15 $1,815.00 $2,647.00

MPA (per credit only)

2023–2024 rates Resident Nonresident
Per credit $1,532.00 $2,406.00

*MDP tuition allows for 6–16 credits due to program requirements. MDP students are responsible for the cost of the required summer field experience; partial funding is typically available.

2023–2024 certificate program tuition rates

Certificate in Election Administration

2023–2024 rates Resident Nonresident
Per credit $1,059.00 $1,295.00

Certificate in Early Childhood Policy, Policy Issues on Work and Pay, and Public Affairs Leadership

2023–2024 rates Resident Nonresident
Per credit $1,532.00 $2,406.00

Certificate in Nonprofit Management

2023–2024 rates Resident Nonresident
Per credit $1,294.00 $1,868.00
10–15 credits $12,940.00 $18,680.00
Each credit over 15 $1,294.00 $1,868.00

Cost of tuition for certificate programs can be found on the OneStop graduate tuition page. For cost of attendance, visit the OneStop estimated costs page.

Estimated Cost of Attendance

You can use the University of Minnesota's cost of attendance calculator to estimate costs for full-time study at the Humphrey School. Estimates are based on the maximum allowable costs for the current academic year (9 months).

Please note, when calculating tuition into the University’s estimates for the cost of attendance, there is a difference between the Graduate School tuition rates and the Humphrey School tuition rates. You are not charged both rates, but while most calculations should use the Humphrey School rates, the Graduate School rates are used for others (i.e., graduate assistantship benefits).

Residency and Reciprocity

Minnesota residents pay in-state tuition rates, which are lower than tuition rates assess to non-Minnesota residents. Qualified students who are residents of Manitoba, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin, benefit from a long-standing reciprocity agreement, paying tuition rates equal to in-state rates. 

Tuition reciprocity is not automatic. Students must apply and qualify for reciprocity through the higher education office in their state of residence. 

Please note that students participating in off-campus study, study abroad, or who take time off for an academic year or more must reapply for reciprocity. For more information about the University's reciprocity policies, download the brochure on residency, reciprocity and tuition exemptions. Answers to frequently asked questions are available in the reciprocity question and answer guide.

Admitted Humphrey School applicants who apply by the application deadlines listed below are automatically considered for merit-based aid awards. Merit-based aid is competitive at the Humphrey School, and aid decisions are delivered on or before March 15.

Deadlines for MDP, MHR, MPP, MS–STEP and MURP

  • December 15: Deadline for consideration for both University of Minnesota fellowships and Humphrey School merit-based aid
  • January 15: Deadline for consideration for Humphrey School merit-based aid

Deadlines for MPA

  • February 15: Deadline for consideration for Humphrey School merit-based aid

University of Minnesota Fellowships

Students who submit a completed application by December 15 will be considered for the University of Minnesota fellowship programs listed below.

Applicants are nominated by the Humphrey School admissions committee based on materials provided in the admissions application. While there is no separate application necessary to be considered for nomination, the Office of Admissions may request selected nominees to submit additional statements, forms, or recommendations.

Please note: These fellowships may have deadlines that differ from the December 15 deadline, but that is the deadline required by the Humphrey School in order to allow sufficient time for application review.

Expand all

DOVE Fellowship

Administered by the Office for Diversity in Graduate Education, the DOVE Fellowship Program seeks to assist graduate programs to promote a diversity of views, experiences, and ideas in pursuit of research, scholarship, and creative excellence. Applicants admitted to the following Humphrey School degree programs may be considered for nomination: MS-STEP and PhD.

ICGC Fellowships

The Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of Global Change (ICGC) offers fellowships that provide financial support for graduate students with backgrounds and interests committed to the interdisciplinary study of the Global South in the context of global change. Applicants admitted to the following Humphrey School degree programs may be considered for nomination: MDP, MHR, and PhD.

Provost's Professional Education Diversity Fellowship (PEDF)

The Provost’s Professional Education Diversity Fellowship (PEDF) is intended to assist professional degree programs in promoting a diversity of views, experiences, and ideas through the recruitment and support of academically excellent students with diverse ethnic, racial, economic, and educational backgrounds and experiences. Programs are encouraged to consider students from groups that historically have been underrepresented in their disciplines.

MPP, MURP, MHR, and MDP are eligible for this fellowship.

Read more about the Provost's Professional Education Diversity Fellowship.

Humphrey School Merit Aid

Students who submit a completed application by January 15 will be considered for Humphrey School merit-based aid. All merit-based aid offers will be announced by mid-March.

Expand all

Charles R. Krusell Fellowship

The Charles R. Krusell Fellowship is designed to increase the supply of highly trained community development professionals from indigenous communities and communities of color, to improve the representation of communities of color in agencies that serve those communities, and provide hands-on work experience to ensure students are prepared to meet the challenges in this ever-evolving field. Students interested in this opportunity will need to apply and submit additional information. Applicants admitted to the following Humphrey School degree programs may be considered for nomination: MPP and MURP.

Krusell Fellows receive full tuition support and graduate research assistantships with community development or planning agencies. The program is a partnership between the Humphrey School and the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA).

How to Apply

Students applying for the Master of Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) and Master of Public Policy (MPP) programs are eligible to apply. Applicants will need to:

  • Submit a completed application for admission to either the MURP or MPP program
  • Complete the Krusell Fellowship application form
  • Submit a two-page essay detailing their interest in the Krusell Fellowship. Instructions on how to submit this document are included in the application form. The essay should address the following:
    • Applicant’s interest and experience in housing and community/economic development issues
    • What skills would the applicant like to build on or develop
    • What experiences would they like to obtain
    • A vision for a career in community development
    • The applicant’s willingness to stay in the Twin Cities area after graduation

Application Timeline

  • January 15: Completed application for admission to either the MURP or MPP program and Krusell Application materials due
  • March 15: Award notifications sent


For questions about MURP or MPP admissions contact the Humphrey School admissions team. For questions about the Krusell Fellowship program contact C Terrence Anderson with CURA.


Charles Krusell was a pillar in the Twin Cities development community and left an indelible mark on every effort he undertook. A champion for public housing, Mr. Krusell was an ardent advocate for urban renewal in the neighborhoods that needed it most. The Charles R. Krusell Fellowship honors his lifetime contributions to affordable housing and community development in the Twin Cities.

Peace Corps Coverdell Fellowship

The Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs' Peace Corps Coverdell Fellowship recognizes the past and future contributions of returned Peace Corps volunteers (RPCVs) and further strengthens the longstanding relationship between the Humphrey School and the Peace Corps. The award is intended to provide scholarship assistance as well as support the continued service of RPCVs enrolled at the Humphrey School.

How to Apply
Please make sure to indicate your Peace Corps participation under the "service participation" section of the online application as well as your resume. Include a copy of your signed description of service (DOS) in your online application.

More information about the Coverdell Fellowship here

Graduate Assistantships

While a limited amount of assistantships are awarded through the Humphrey School merit-based aid process, the majority of assistantships are posted and available outside of this process, and graduate students apply for these positions as they would any other advertised position with the University. Types of assistantships include:

Administrative Fellow

May involve responsibilities such as advising undergraduates or performing administrative support/research functions. The Humphrey School occasionally offers a limited amount of administrative positions for graduate students.

Research Assistantship

The most common type of assistantship, which is connected with a faculty project or University research center.

Teaching Assistantships

Typically available for second-year students to assist in various Humphrey School core courses.

Terms and benefits for assistantships can vary depending on the type and appointment, but typically include tuition benefits, an hourly wage, health coverage, and in-state tuition waivers for non-Minnesota residents, and can last for a single semester or more. More information on assistantships can be found at Graduate Assistant Employment Services.

Circularity Impact Program: An NSF Research Traineeship

Funded by the National Science Foundation, the Circularity Impact Program supports Masters and PhD students studying the circular use of water, energy, and materials. Competitive fellowships and travel stipends are available to students studying in any of Humphrey's Masters or PhD programs, except the MPA program. Masters students are eligible for one year of funding and PhD students are eligible for two years.

Get full details and application information about the Circularity Impact Program here

All qualified students pursuing a master’s degree at the Humphrey School are eligible for financial aid in the form of federal loans up to the total estimated cost of attendance (COA) minus any other scholarships, grants, or other funding. Eligibility for need-based aid is determined through the submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the University’s OneStop Student Services Office

Incoming and current Humphrey School students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. Many Humphrey School graduates pursue careers in the public and/or nonprofit sectors, and as a result, may qualify for this program.

We encourage all students to actively seek out opportunities from outside agencies for scholarship opportunities including corporations, special interest organizations, religious institutions, and local community leadership groups. Outside organizations are a significant source of gift aid. When searching for scholarship opportunities, students are encouraged to verify the legitimacy of the scholarship. Students should not have to pay to find scholarships or other financial aid. Below are some resources to start an outside scholarship search: