Using a foot pedal for transcription
Humphrey students may check-out a foot pedal. This is a physical device where instead of manipulating the audio playback of an audio source with your hands, it lets you do it with your feet, so you can type more efficiently.
You will need to install a small software application in order to use a food pedal for transcription. These instructions are for using a free Windows application called Express Scribe from NCH Software.
- Download and install the software from http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html.
- Plug in the foot pedal. Windows will automatically install the driver, and then Express Scribe will detect the pedal.
- If the pedal is not automatically detected, open the Express Scribe software and click on Options -> Controller...
- Click on Controller Setup Wizard and follow the instructions on the screen.
- The pedal should now be ready for use. Press down the middle button to start audio playback. The audio automatically pauses once you release the button. The left and right buttons are to rewind and fast forward through the audio.