The Humphrey School of Public Affairs has launched a new Climate Policy Series honoring retired government, business, community, and University of Minnesota leader Thomas H. Swain in his 100th year.
Rather than looking backward at this point in his life, Tom is looking ahead. Alarmed by the warming of our planet, he is concerned about the fate of his grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and their contemporaries as they face life-threatening environmental challenges. Swain is keen to enlist his fellow citizens in efforts to reduce the climate threat.
Answering his call to action, the Humphrey School has developed Advancing Climate Solutions. Now. The Swain Climate Policy Series, in partnership with the Institute on the Environment (IonE), to engage and energize students throughout the University of Minnesota, as well as residents across the state, to become part of the solution to climate change through policy and advocacy.
About the Swain Climate Policy Series
The Swain Climate Policy Series is geared to mobilize civic engagement on an ongoing basis, year round. The series, and the fund that supports it, were officially launched at Tom’s 100th birthday party in July 2021.
- High-profile public lectures featuring world-renowned climate experts and champions
- Interaction among climate experts, students, researchers, community partners, and the public
- Policy-focused student internships and research initiatives
- Development and analysis of policy strategies for reduced reliance on fossil fuels and deployment of carbon-neutral energy resources
- A focus on climate justice, aimed at reducing the disparate impacts of climate change on people based on geography, income and race
- Opportunities for participants to learn how to be more effective climate stewards through both individual and collective action
What Others Are Saying About Climate Change