Public Safety Leadership Program
Public safety professionals face extraordinary challenges that require innovative thinking, an expanded capacity for community engagement and collaboration, and a leadership approach that can build public trust.
The Humphrey School's 6-credit executive leadership program (two 3-credit courses) provides participants with advanced knowledge of leadership, the ability to define public problems and formulate solutions, and the communication skills necessary for advancement. Students completing both courses can apply six credits towards a graduate or undergraduate degree, or choose to participate as a non-degree-seeking student. They also earn 90 Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) credits and a Humphrey School certificate.
Enrollment begins in late spring for students not currently admitted into the University of Minnesota.
Flexibility + Convenience
The courses, held at the University's Twin Cities West-Bank campus and in area public safety department locations, start in the fall with an intensive two-day introduction in September, followed by on-campus sessions one Thursday each month, with online work between class sessions.
Up to 20 diverse public safety leaders from the U.S. and other countries will comprise a close-working student cohort. Faculty and guest speakers from the public safety sector will employ active learning techniques including case studies and simulations, collaborative tasks, lectures, readings, and an individual student project in their assigned department that may incorporate deeper understanding of diverse topics such as:
- Leadership and ethics
- Public trust and legitimacy
- Community participation and inclusion
- Leadership, bias, and diversity
- Public communications
- Employee wellness
- Crisis response
What You Will Gain
- Advanced ethical and critical thinking skills in executive leadership through reflective practice
- Increased confidence in delivering executive leader communications in diverse situations
- Expanded capacity for inter-disciplinary collaboration and multicultural competence
- New knowledge, skills, wisdom, and motivation to formulate public safety problems, fashion effective solutions, and build necessary coalitions of support to achieve public value and advance the common good
- A new network of colleagues from across Minnesota and the international community that has built a trusting community of academic practitioners
Who Your Peers Will Be
- Sheriffs, chiefs, commanders, directors, deputies, and emerging leaders in public safety disciplines of law enforcement, fire, emergency management, and emergency medical services
- Administrators in city and county government
- Military leaders in supporting law enforcement agencies
- Officials in state agencies that collaborate with public safety
- Public servants committed to becoming more effective in their professional lives
- Business leaders interested in collaborating with public safety disciplines
What Students Are Saying
- "I have attended a lot of training and education...I believe this was the best!"
- "Not only did I learn, but it changed my process of thinking and problem solving."
- "A perfect blend of personal and professional growth."
- "I am recommending it to everyone in leadership within my organization."
- "Instruction is second to none. A world-class program!"