38 Minnesota Leaders Selected as Humphrey Policy Fellows
Minneapolis, MN (08/26/15)—The Humphrey School of Public Affairs has named 38 Minnesotans as Policy Fellow for its 2015–2016 program. Selected through a competitive application process, Fellows will engage in a unique educational experience designed to help individuals hone their leadership skills, build their professional network, and define their role in the policy process.
The Policy Fellows program invites participants to develop a greater understanding of policy and public affairs, and to incorporate this new knowledge into their leadership roles across Minnesota. Fellows come from across the state of Minnesota and represent business, nonprofit, and government sectors and meet once a month as a group between September and early June. They also travel to Washington, DC, for a multi-day study trip with prominent elected officials and national leaders in public affairs.
"Policy Fellows are the bridge builders of our civic life,” says Professor Lawrence Jacobs, who directs the program. “From a variety of backgrounds and perspectives, they come together to find new ways to talk about and address our most challenging public problems."
Vice President Walter Mondale and Geri Joseph, award-winning journalist and former Ambassador to the Netherlands, began the Policy Fellows program in 1990. Former congressmen Tim Penny and Vin Weber co-directed it for more than a decade. Its current director, Jacobs, is the Walter F. and Joan Mondale Chair for Political Studies at the Humphrey School.
This year marks the program’s 25th anniversary. Former directors, alumni, and friends will convene for a celebration at the TCF Bank Stadium on September 16, 2015. More information here.
2015-2016 Policy Fellows
• Amira Adawe, Planner and Health Educator, Saint Paul - Ramsey County Public Health
• Jennifer Andrashko, Assistant Professor, Minnesota State University, Mankato
• Ashraf Ashkar, SNAP - Ed Educator, University of Minnesota Extension
• Andrea Baumgardner, Program Associate, The Barry Foundation
• JoAnn Birkholz, Foundation Director, Medica
• Kate Brauman, Lead Scientist, Global Water Initiative, Institute on the Environment, University of Minnesota
• Peter Brickwedde, Director, Government Affairs, Minnesota Department of Commerce
• Erin Davenport, Attorney, Dorsey & Whitney LLP
• Christine DeLarbre, Community Planning and Development Representative, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Community Planning and Development
• Jess Anna Glover, Attorney, Education Minnesota
• Qamar Hassan, Nurse, Hennepin County Medical Center
• Scott Hawks, State Public Affairs Officer, Minnesota National Guard
• Josi Hellier, Consultant, Target Corporation
• Elizabeth Hoffman, Physician Assistant, Cardiac Electrophysiology, Allina Health, Minneapolis Heart Institute
• Laura Janke, Vice President, Municipal Finance, RBC Capital Markets
• Benjamin Johnson, Legislative Coordinator, Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
• Elizabeth Roosevelt Johnston, Assistant County Attorney, Hennepin County Attorney's Office
• Mustafa Jumale, Community Representative, Office of Congressman Keith Ellison
• Darla Kashian, Financial Advisor, First Vice-President, RBC Wealth Management
• Matthew Koncar, Police Officer, St Paul Police Department
• Laura Larson, Committee Administrator, Greater Minnesota Economic & Workforce Development Committee, Minnesota House of Representatives, Republican Caucus
• Teri Larson, Coordinator of Analytic Services, Applied Policy Research, Inc.
• Irma Márquez Trapero, Student Recruitment Coordinator, Hiawatha Academies
• Erin Rath Moos, Senior Group Manager, Enterprise Risk Management, Target Corporation
• Kirsten Morell, Public Affairs Senior Manager, Best Buy
• Ryan Mulso, Outreach Director, Educators 4 Excellence
• Maxwell Page, Judicial Law Clerk, Hennepin County District Court
• Chad Phillips, Precision Agriculture Manager, Crop Production Services
• Rinal Ray, Public Policy Advocate, Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
• Kori Redepenning, Vice President of Mission Advancement, Minnesota Alliance With Youth
• Melissa Reeder, Director of Information Technology Services, Carver County
• Darryl Scarborough, Accountant, State of Minnesota
• Joseph Sharkey, Deputy Director of Strategic Relations, Minnesota Army National Guard - Active Guard Reserve
• Anni Simons, Government Relations Specialist, Fredrikson and Byron, P.A.
• Ryan Strack, Manager of Homeless and Highly Mobile Student Services, Minneapolis Public Schools
• Jasper L. Tran, Intellectual Property Associate, Faegre Baker Daniels
• Lisa Wagor, Public Affairs Manager, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota
• Alfonso Wenker, Director of Program Strategy & Racial Equity, Minnesota Council on Foundations