Degree Completion Steps: MDP, MPA, MPP, MURP
Step 1: Submit Forms
Spring completion: December 5
Summer completion: December 5
Fall completion: April 15
- Faculty advisor signature is required before submission. Please do not leave the form for your advisor to sign and return. The object of the signature is to indicate that a discussion and approval have taken place.
- Do not obtain the signature of the major field Director of Graduate Studies before submitting.
- If completing a graduate minor, do obtain the signature of the minor field Director of Graduate Studies before submitting.
Step 2: For MHR & MPP Only
Professional Paper (individual option)
This step is only for MPP students who complete the individual professional paper option, not MPP students completing the Capstone Workshop option.
The first week of the semester in which registering for professional paper credit.
- Signature is required from professional paper supervisor (also called "paper committee chair"). Make an appointment well before the deadline to allow time for discussion and approval of proposal.
- After approval of supervisor/committee chair, obtain the signatures of all other committee members.
Step 3: Review Approved Degree Plan
- You will receive an e-mail from your HHH adviser when your Degree Plan is forwarded to central administration.
- 3-4 weeks after that, you will receive an e-mail from central administration with your approved Degree Plan scanned and attached.
- Make sure that there are no changes to your registration! If there are, complete Step 4 immediately.
- Changes or no changes, complete Step 5 immediately.
- Submit this petition as soon as you know you have made a change in your registration because the Graduate School will not award your degree until all courses listed on your Degree Program have been completed or amended via this petition.
- Faculty advisor signature is required, so plan ahead!
Step 4: Petition (if necessary)
If your registration has changed from the courses listed on your approved Degree Plan, immediately submit a Petition to Amend Degree Plan to Humphrey Student Services, Room 280.
As soon as approved Degree Plan is received from the Graduate School via e-mail to umn account.
- Faculty adviser signature is required, so plan ahead!
- Do not obtain the signature of the major field Director of Graduate Studies. Submit form to Humphrey Student Services, Room 280, to obtain that signature.
- If the change is related to courses in a minor, do obtain the signature of the minor field Director of Graduate Studies before submitting to Student Services.
Step 5: Request & Submit Graduation Packet
Follow the link here to request a Graduation Packet. You will receive the packet by email with two very important components. Please follow these directions for the two components:
- Master's Final Report Form: Download; do not obtain any signatures; simply print it and submit it to Humphrey Room 280 as is by the deadline (see below).
- Apply to Graduate: Follow the link provided in the Graduation Packet to submit an online application to graduate. You absolutely must — no exceptions — have the completed by the first day of the month your degree will be granted!
Submission window and deadlines for both of the above components:
- Last course in spring semester? Submit April 2–May 1
- Last course in summer semester? Submit July 2–August 1
- Last course in fall semester? Submit November 2–December 1
If you miss the deadlines above, you will have to register (and pay) for something in the following semester so mark your calendars!
Step 6: MHR & MPP Individual Professional Papers only
More details: MPP Individual Paper Option
Coordinate with committee members to schedule a date and book a room for oral presentation, which usually lasts about an hour. To reserve a conference room, contact the Front Desk staff in Room 130 (612-626-8910 or firstname.lastname@example.org) or use gcal (add under “Rooms, etc.”).
As soon as committee members are identified (as early as possible in the semester).
- Distribute copies of final paper to all committee members at least two weeks before the scheduled date of oral presentation.
- The oral presentation typically includes a presentation of professional paper to the committee, followed by a discussion.
- Paper revisions are usually required after the presentation, so plan your time line to allow for these revisions.
- Committee chair and all committee members sign a title page, indicating that you have satisfactorily completed oral presentation and paper revisions.
Step 7: MHR, MPP & MURP only – internship forms
Submit internship forms to Humphrey Student Services, Room 280. These forms must be filed and approved before you will be approved to receive your degree! Forms found here.
No later than the 15th day of the month before you will complete all degree requirements. For example:
- Finishing in May: submit by April 15
- Finishing in August: submit by July 15
- Finishing in December: submit by November 15
Step 8: Stay Registered
At the time your degree is awarded you must be in “active status,” which means you must be registered for that semester. Being registered for spring semester will maintain active status through August 30; that is, if you are registered for spring semester, you do not have to register for summer to have your degree granted in June, July, or August.
There are serious financial consequences if you do not maintain your active status and want to have your degree awarded at a later date! Registration in Grad999 to maintain "active status" is not allowed.
Step 9: Submit Final Paper
Select the appropriate link below for professional paper submission requirements
As soon as final version of paper has been completed and approved. Specifically:
- Finishing in May: May 20
- Finishing in August: August 20
- Finishing in December: December 20
Step 10: Notice of Degree Requirements
The Graduate School will send an e-mail saying one of two things:
- Outstanding Degree Requirements -- what courses still need to have grades posted or forms submitted OR
- Clearance Notification Letter -- everything is completely finished
The month of degree completion. Sometimes this e-mail arrives right before commencement, so don't panic! Just check the letter for any change in registration.
- Most people receive the Outstanding Degree Requirements notice. Check it carefully! Make sure your records agree with everything.
- This letter will list any coursework on approved Degree Plan that still needs a grade posted, as well as any forms that still need to be submitted.
- Note: The letter may list Final Report Form even if you have submitted it to HHH 280 because it won't be sent to the Graduate School until all HHH degree requirements have been met (final paper submission, internship, etc.).