Master's Degree: Planning, Registration, and Completion
From the moment you start at the Humphrey School to the time you graduate, you will take an active role in planning and completing your degree. The information, resources needed, and steps to complete your degree are outlined below. Student Services is here to help you navigate. Please contact us with any questions.
- Program planning worksheets: Use your program’s planning worksheet to select courses and review degree requirements
- Concentration planning forms: View the concentration forms for specific information and requirements related to your degree
- Final paper, capstone, and thesis: Follow the specific requirements for the option you choose
- Classes and registration: Search and register for classes
- Degree completion steps: You will need to complete these steps for your degree to be granted
PROGRAM PLANNING WORKSHEETS
Utilize your degree program’s Program Planning Worksheet to select courses and review degree requirements.
CONCENTRATION PLANNING FORMS
In addition to the required core courses, MPP, MURP, and MHR students will select a concentration that encompasses a set of additional courses and experiences that provide an integrated portfolio of professional preparation. Students can select a focus in an established area of concentration or self-design a concentration with their advisor and with the approval of the director of graduate studies. Students can take concentration and elective courses at the Humphrey School and from other University departments.
View the concentration planning forms for MPP and MURP areas. Please note that forms for the MHR concentrations are currently being developed. If you have questions, contact your academic advisor.
FINAL PAPER, CAPSTONE, AND THESIS INFORMATION
- ClassInfo: Search for classes by term, course, subject, and instructor
- Class Search: Search for classes by keyword, department, instructor, and term
- Course Catalog: Read official, brief course descriptions for all courses
Fill out your Program Planning Worksheet and Graduate Degree Plan, meet with your faculty advisor and other appropriate staff for signatures, then submit these forms to Humphrey Student Services (Room 280) by the due date below. Review the instructions for completing the Graduate Degree Plan. The due date is based on when you are planning to complete your degree.
- Spring completion: December 5
- Summer completion: December 5
- Fall completion: April 15
- Faculty advisor signature is required before submission. Please do not leave the form for your advisor to sign and return. The object of the signature is to indicate that a discussion and approval have taken place.
- Do not obtain the signature of the major field Director of Graduate Studies before submitting.
- If completing a graduate minor, do obtain the signature of the minor field Director of Graduate Studies before submitting.
This step is for all MS-STEP students and any other students who complete the individual professional paper option. Submit degree-appropriate Paper Topc Approval form by the deadline found on the form to Humphrey Student Services (Room 280). View the paper topic approval forms.
- Signature is required from professional paper supervisor (also called "paper committee chair"). Make an appointment well before the deadline to allow time for discussion and approval of proposal.
- After approval of supervisor/committee chair, obtain the signatures of all other committee members.
- You will receive email notification of approval from the Graduate Student Services and Progress office.
- Make sure the Graduate Degree Plan matches your current registration. If your registration has changed from the courses listed on your approved Degree Plan, complete Step 4 immediately.
STEP 4: CHECK REGISTRATION THEN PETITION (IF NECESSARY)
If your registration has changed from the courses listed on your approved Degree Plan, immediately submit a Petition to Amend Degree Plan to Humphrey Student Services (Room 280). The Graduate School will not award your degree until all courses listed on your Degree Program have been completed or amended via this petition.
- Faculty advisor signature is required, so plan ahead.
- Do not obtain the signature of the major field Director of Graduate Studies. Submit form to Humphrey Student Services to obtain that signature.
If the change is related to courses in a minor, do obtain the signature of the minor field Director of Graduate Studies before submitting to Student Services.
Follow this link to request a Graduation Packet. If you apply before the window, you will need to reapply. If you miss the deadline you will have to register (and pay) for something in the following semester so mark your calendars. Submission window and deadlines:
- Last course completed in spring semester? Submit April 2–May 1
- Last course completed in summer semester? Submit July 2–August 1
- Last course completed in fall semester? Submit November 2–December 1
You will receive the packet by email with two very important components:
- Master's Final Report Form: Download; do not obtain any signatures; simply print it and submit it to Humphrey Room 280 as is by the deadline (see below).
- Apply to Graduate: Follow the link provided in the Graduation Packet to submit an online application to graduate. You absolutely must — no exceptions — have this completed by the first day of the month your degree will be granted.
STEP 6: STAY REGISTERED
At the time your degree is awarded you must be in “active status,” which means you must be registered for that semester. Being registered for spring semester will maintain active status through August 30; that is, if you are registered for spring semester, you do not have to register for summer to have your degree granted in June, July, or August.
There are serious financial consequences if you do not maintain your active status and want to have your degree awarded at a later date. Registration in Grad999 to maintain "active status" is not allowed.
STEP 7: SUBMIT FINAL PAPER
Select the appropriate link for professional paper submission requirements:
Due Date: As soon as final version of paper has been completed and approved:
- Finishing in May: Due May 20
- Finishing in August: Due August 20
- Finishing in December: Due December 20
STEP 8: REVIEW NOTICE OF DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
The Graduate School will send an email saying one of two things:
- Outstanding Degree Requirements — what courses still need to have grades posted or forms submitted OR
- Clearance Notification Letter — everything is completely finished
Sometimes this email arrives right before commencement, so don't panic. Just check the letter for any change in registration.
- You will receive the Outstanding Degree Requirements notice. Make sure your records agree with everything.
- This letter will list any coursework on approved Degree Plan that still needs a grade posted, as well as any forms that still need to be submitted.
- Note: The letter may list Final Report Form even if you have submitted it to HHH 280 because it won't be sent to the Graduate School until all HHH degree requirements have been met (final paper submission, internship, etc.).