What is Commencement?
Commencement is the annual ceremony at which we celebrate completion of your degree. While the commencement ceremony is not required for actual degree conferral, you are invited to celebrate your accomplishments with Humphrey faculty, staff, fellow students, friends, and family who have enthusiastically supported your hard work and efforts.
Humphrey School Commencement Ceremony
Saturday, May 13, 2017, 3–5 p.m.
Ted Mann Concert Hall
University of Minnesota West Bank
For family and friends unable to attend the ceremony in person, the event will be streamed live on the Humphrey School's YouTube channel, and the link will be posted at a later date.
View 2016 commencement ceremony.
If your degree was, or will be, awarded September 2016 through August 2017, you are eligible and encouraged to participate in the May 2017 commencement ceremony.
Information for Faculty Members
Please arrive at 2 p.m. to line up for the 3 p.m. ceremony. If you do not have your own academic regalia, inquire here about renting regalia for the ceremony.
2 p.m. Participants arrive at Ted Mann and head to dressing rooms
2 p.m. Doors into Ted Mann open for guests
2:30 p.m. Participants line up
3 p.m. Ceremony begins
5 p.m. Approximate ceremony end time
5–6 p.m. Approximate time for refreshments
Group and individual photo details
Back by popular demand this year, there will be a photo booth set-up at the reception for photos in your cap and gown individually or with guests, classmates, faculty, or staff. The Humphrey School has hired a professional photographer to take these photos, and they will be uploaded to a Flickr website about a week after the event for download.
- Caps and gowns are required for the ceremony (unless you are in international ceremonial dress). Information can be found here: gowns and hoods.
- There are dressing rooms available for your use at Ted Mann. A volunteer will point you toward the backstage area when you arrive. Please leave your valuables with a guest or rent one of the lockers on the entrance level.
- Ted Mann also has lockers on the entrance level for a fee. If it is especially rainy or cold on commencement day, you may want to tell your guests about this service.
- Caps and gowns include a diagram for hood placement. The hood loop should go around a button on a shirt. If your shirt does not have buttons, use a safety pin to secure the loop to your shirt, or better yet, the gown itself. Safety pins, bobby pins and other helpful items will be available in the dressing rooms at Ted Mann.
Please be ready to line up at 2:30 pm. Staff and student volunteers will assist in placing you in alphabetical order in the backstage area.
The reception will be held immediately following the ceremony in terrace between the Ted Mann Concert Hall and Ferguson Hall. Refreshments (cookies, coffee, and punch) will be served.
Access & Accommodations
Please contact email@example.com to indicate any needs you or your guests may have regarding access and accommodations to Ted Mann and the commencement ceremony.
A few things that may be helpful when making an accessibility accommodation requests:
- If you or any of your guests need captioning services or ASL interpreters, please let us know as soon as possible. This request is harder to accommodate without advance notice.
- There is no parking in front of Ted Mann Concert Hall, but guests can be dropped off in the roundabout out front. The closest parking ramp is the 21st Avenue Ramp.
- Ted Mann has an elevator to access all levels of the concert hall. The entire auditorium is ramp style, so there are no stairs to access a seat.
- If one of your guests needs a wheelchair accessible seat in the auditorium or has trouble walking far distances, we can reserve seats for small groups in accessible areas.
Transportation & Parking
Ted Mann Concert Hall, West Bank campus, 2128 4th Street South, Minneapolis
- From River Road: Take River Road to 4th Street South. Follow 4th Street South to 21st Ave S. Turn left on 21st and then immediately right into the 21st Avenue Parking Ramp to park.
- From the east: Take I94 westbound and take the Cedar Ave exit. Turn right on Cedar then right on 3rd Street South. (3rd Street South is BEFORE you cross the Washington Avenue Bridge). Turn right on 19th and then left on 4th St. S. Turn right on 21st and then right into the 21st Avenue parking ramp to park.
- From the west: Take I94 eastbound and take the Riverside exit. At the end of the exit ramp turn right on to 25th Avenue S, then right on Franklin Avenue, then right on Cedar Avenue. Turn right on 3rd Street South. (3rd Street South is BEFORE you cross the Washington Avenue Bridge). Turn right on 19th and then left on 4th St. S. Turn right on 21st and then right into the 21st Avenue parking ramp to park.
- From the north or south: Take 35W and exit at the Washington Avenue exit. Take Washington east towards Seven Corners. Turn left on 15th Ave. S, then right on to 19th Ave S., then left on 4th Street S. Turn right on 21st and then right into the 21st Avenue parking ramp to park.
- Parking: The 21st Avenue Ramp and Lot 94 are the closest available places to park.