What is Commencement?
Commencement is the annual ceremony at which we celebrate completion of your degree. While the commencement ceremony is not required for actual degree conferral, you are invited to celebrate your accomplishments with Humphrey faculty, staff, fellow students, friends, and family who have enthusiastically supported your hard work and efforts.
Humphrey School 2019 Commencement Ceremony
Saturday, May 18, 2019, 3–5 p.m.
Ted Mann Concert Hall
University of Minnesota West Bank
Family and friends unable to attend the ceremony can watch a live stream of the event online.
If your degree was, or will be, awarded September 2018 through August 2019, you are eligible and encouraged to participate in the May 2019 commencement ceremony.
- 2 p.m. Participants arrive at Ted Mann and head to dressing rooms
- 2 p.m. Doors into Ted Mann open for guests
- 2:30 p.m. Participants line up
- 3 p.m. Ceremony begins
- 5 p.m. Approximate ceremony end time
- 5–6 p.m. Approximate time for reception
Information for Students
Please be ready to line up at 2:30 p.m. Staff and student volunteers will assist in placing you in alphabetical order in the backstage area.
Information for Faculty Members
Please arrive at 2 p.m. to line up for the 3 p.m. ceremony. If you do not have your own academic regalia, inquire about renting regalia for the ceremony.
- Caps and gowns are required for the ceremony (unless you are in international ceremonial dress). Information can be found here: gowns and hoods.
- There are dressing rooms available for your use at Ted Mann. A volunteer will point you toward the backstage area when you arrive. Please leave your valuables with a guest or rent one of the lockers on the entrance level.
- Ted Mann also has lockers on the entrance level for a fee. If it is especially rainy or cold on commencement day, you may want to tell your guests about this service.
- Caps and gowns include a diagram for hood placement. The hood loop should go around a button on a shirt. If your shirt does not have buttons, use a safety pin to secure the loop to your shirt, or better yet, the gown itself. Safety pins, bobby pins and other helpful items will be available in the dressing rooms at Ted Mann.
The reception will be held immediately following the ceremony on the terrace between the Ted Mann Concert Hall and Ferguson Hall. Refreshments (cookies, coffee, and punch) will be served. There will be a photo booth set up at the reception for photos in your cap and gown individually or with guests, classmates, faculty, or staff. A professional photographer will take these photos, and they will be uploaded to a Flickr website about a week after the event for download.
Please contact Meredith Smalley, events coordinator, email@example.com to indicate any needs you or your guests may have regarding access and accommodations to Ted Mann and the commencement ceremony. A few things that may be helpful when making an accessibility accommodation request:
- If you or any of your guests need captioning services or ASL interpreters, please let us know as soon as possible. This request is harder to accommodate without advance notice.
- There is no parking in front of Ted Mann Concert Hall, but guests can be dropped off in the roundabout out front. The closest parking ramp is the 21st Avenue Ramp.
- Ted Mann has an elevator to access all levels of the concert hall. The entire auditorium is ramp style, so there are no stairs to access a seat.
- If one of your guests needs a wheelchair-accessible seat in the auditorium or has trouble walking far distances, we can reserve seats for small groups in accessible areas.
Ted Mann Concert Hall, West Bank campus, 2128 4th Street South, Minneapolis
- From River Road: Take River Road to 4th Street South. Follow 4th Street South to 21st Avenue South. Turn left on 21st and then immediately right into the 21st Avenue Parking Ramp to park.
- From the east: Take I-94 westbound and take the Cedar Avenue exit. Turn right on Cedar, then right on 3rd Street South (3rd Street South is BEFORE you cross the Washington Avenue Bridge). Turn right on 19th and then left on 4th Street South. Turn right on 21st and then right into the 21st Avenue parking ramp to park.
- From the west: Take I-94 eastbound and take the Riverside exit. At the end of the exit ramp turn right on to 25th Avenue South, then right on Franklin Avenue, then right on Cedar Avenue. Turn right on 3rd Street South (3rd Street South is BEFORE you cross the Washington Avenue Bridge). Turn right on 19th, and then left on 4th Street South. Turn right on 21st and then right into the 21st Avenue parking ramp to park.
- From the north or south: Take I-35W and exit at Washington Avenue. Take Washington east towards Seven Corners. Turn left on 15th Avenue South, then right onto 19th Avenue South, then left on 4th Street South. Turn right on 21st and then right into the 21st Avenue parking ramp to park.
- Parking: The 21st Avenue Ramp and Lot 94 are the closest available places to park.