Office: 155 Humphrey School
Center/Department: Center for Integrative Leadership and Director of Graduate Studies for the Master of Science in Security Technologies degree program in the Technological Leadership Institute
Science, technology, engineering and mathematics education policy; innovation policy, especially the application of design thinking to public policy issues; science and technology policy, telecommunications and information technology issues; green chemistry policy;and public budgeting
Steve Kelley is a senior fellow at the Humphrey School. He served in the Minnesota Senate from January 1997 through December 2006 and the Minnesota House of Representatives from January 1993 through December 1996. He was chair of the Senate Education Committee for four years. He has also run for statewide office.
Before his legislative service, he was a public member of the Minnesota Board of Medical Practice from 1984 to 1992 and served one year as its president. Kelley has served on the boards of many other organizations, including the Sojourner Shelter (a secure residence for victims of domestic abuse), Physicians Health Plan, the Citizens League, the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Foundation, and the Sierra Club North Star Chapter Executive Committee.
During his service as a legislator, Kelley served on the Executive Committee of the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) and co-chaired its task force on the No Child Left Behind Act. He also chaired NCSL's committees dealing with information technology and telecommunications for two years. He was selected to participate in the Toll Fellows leadership program operated by the Council of State Governments. In the Senate he was the chief author of numerous bills, including the Adverse Health Events Reporting Act, legislation that led to the creation of the Initiative for Renewable Energy and the Environment, a bill promoting stem cell research, and education policy bills. He served on utility committees in the House and Senate and authored many bills related to telecommunications and information technology, including digital signatures, electronic real estate recording, broadband infrastructure and technology-enhanced education.
Aside from his public service, Kelley practiced commercial litigation at the Minneapolis firm of Mackall, Crounse, and Moore PLC for over 20 years.
Kelley received his B.A. from Williams College graduating cum laude in 1975 and later earned his J.D. from the Columbia University School of Law in 1978.
Go to the University of Minnesota One Stop website to apply for these and other public affairs courses.
For syllabi for the current or upcoming semester, please visit the University of Minnesota's Course Guide and look for the syllabus icon. If the syllabus is not there, contact the instructor directly. Syllabi are available in alternative formats upon request. Please contact Stacey Grimes at email@example.com or 612-626-1329 for assistance.
- LAW 6159 — Education Law and Policy - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 5442 — Hum Dev Pol Design - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 8081 — Capstone Workshop - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 8922 — Master's Paper: Plan B - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 8991 — Independent Study - Course Description - Register for this course
- ST 8221 — Comm of Risk & Security - Course Description - Register for this course
- ST 8511 — Public Policy - Course Description - Register for this courseSpring 2015
- PA 5112 — Public Budgeting - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 5715 — Survey of Current STEP Issues - Course Description - Register for this course
- ST 8620 — Capstone - Course Description - Register for this courseSummer 2015
- PA 8991 — Independent Study
- ST 8620 — CapstoneFall 2015
- LAW 6159 — Education Law and Policy
- PA 5442 — Hum Dev Pol Design
- PA 8081 — Capstone Workshop
- PA 8922 — Master's Paper: Plan B
- PA 8991 — Independent Study
- ST 8221 — Comm of Risk & Security
- ST 8511 — Public PolicySpring 2016
- PA 5112 — Public Budgeting
- PA 5715 — Survey of Current STEP Issues
- ST 8620 — Capstone