International economic development; labor market analysis; politics and economics of the Middle East and North Africa; urban planning; poverty in developing countries; quantitative methods; women's work in developing countries
Ragui Assaad, professor, researches labor policy and labor market analysis in developing countries with a focus on the Middle East and North Africa. His current works focuses on inequality of opportunity in education, child health, and labor markets, transitions from school-to-work, employment and unemployment dynamics, informality, labor market responses to economic shocks, international migration, and family formation.
Assaad is a Research Fellow of the Economic Research Forum in Cairo, Egypt and serves as its thematic director for Labor and Human Resource Development. He is also Research Fellow at the Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in Bonn, Germany and a non-resident senior fellow with the Global Economy and Development program of the Brookings Institution in Washington D.C. He served as Regional Director for West Asia and North Africa for the Population Council, based in Cairo, Egypt, from 2005 to 2008.
Assaad has served as a consultant to the World Bank, the International Labor Organization, the Ford Foundation, UNICEF and UNDP.
He received a doctorate in city and regional planning from Cornell University and a master's degree in mechanical engineering from Stanford University. He earned the Humphrey School's teacher of the year award in 1992, 1995, 1996, and 2000.
Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
Go to the University of Minnesota One Stop website to apply for these and other public affairs courses.
For syllabi for the current or upcoming semester, please visit the University of Minnesota's Course Guide and look for the syllabus icon. If the syllabus is not there, contact the instructor directly. Syllabi are available in alternative formats upon request. Please contact Jeremy Gordon at email@example.com or 612-624-7095 for assistance.
- PA 5503 — Economics of Development - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 8991 — Independent Study - Course Description - Register for this courseSpring 2014
- PA 5043 — Econ & Demographic Analysis - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 5521 — Devlpmt Plan/Policy - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 8991 — Independent Study - Course Description - Register for this courseSummer 2014
- PA 8991 — Independent StudyFall 2014
- PA 5503 — Economics of Development
- PA 8991 — Independent StudySpring 2015
- PA 5043 — Econ & Demographic Analysis
- PA 5521 — Devlpmt Plan/Policy
- PA 8991 — Independent Study