Office: 300 Humphrey School
Center/Department: Dean's Office
Cross-sector and inter-organizational leadership, program evaluation, youth and social justice policy development, educational administration
Laura Bloomberg is the associate dean and a member of the graduate faculty at the Humphrey School of Public Affairs where she teaches courses on leadership, management, and program evaluation. Bloomberg has won several awards for teaching, including the Humphrey students' award for Instructor of the Year (2010 and 2011). She also received a University of Minnesota Outstanding Faculty Member Award from the Council of Graduate Students (2011).
Bloomberg previously served as executive director of the Center for Integrative Leadership, a joint initiative with the Carlson School of Management and the Humphrey School. Prior to joining the Humphrey School in 2007, Bloomberg was a school district administrator and principal of a K-12 urban magnet school. From 1990-1996 she was an instructor, researcher, and academic administrator in the College of Education, University of Minnesota. Bloomberg served as a school board member in Mahtomedi, Minnesota (1996-2004) and chaired the Association of Metropolitan School Districts. She is a founding partner of Full Circle Community Institute, a cross cultural organization that provides evaluation and leadership support to community-based organizations and indigenous tribal communities.
Bloomberg's most recent research and policy work has focused on community leadership, youth development, cross-cultural dialogue and educational policy. She has done extensive work with public-private partnerships to design leadership models that support healthy community development
Bloomberg has authored several articles on program evaluation, policy development, cross-agency leadership and collaboration, and educational program analysis. She has worked on youth development policy with the provincial governments of Canada, tribal leaders of Indigenous Nations, and the island country of Cyprus. She has worked with several states, federal agencies, and the National Governors Association to develop improved civic leadership and education systems in this country.
Bloomberg holds a bachelor's degree in special education from St. Cloud State University, master's degrees in psychometrics and educational psychology from Cornell University, and a Ph.D. in educational policy and administration from the University of Minnesota.
Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
Go to the University of Minnesota One Stop website to apply for these and other public affairs courses.
For syllabi for the current or upcoming semester, please visit the University of Minnesota's Course Guide and look for the syllabus icon. If the syllabus is not there, contact the instructor directly. Syllabi are available in alternative formats upon request. Please contact Jeremy Gordon at email@example.com or 612-624-7095 for assistance.
- PA 5081 — Working in Teams - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 8991 — Independent Study - Course Description - Register for this courseSpring 2014
- ARCH 4150 — Topics in Architecture: - Course Description - Register for this course
- ARCH 5750 — Topics Urbn Dsgn - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 4290 — Topics in Planning - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 5190 — Leadership & Mgmt Topics - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 5290 — Planning Topics - Course Description - Register for this course
- PA 8991 — Independent Study - Course Description - Register for this course
- VMED 5998 — Leadership Global Grand Challe - Course Description - Register for this courseSummer 2014
- PA 8991 — Independent StudyFall 2014
- PA 5081 — Working in Teams
- PA 8991 — Independent StudySpring 2015
- PA 5190 — Leadership & Mgmt Topics
- PA 8991 — Independent Study
- VMED 5998 — Leadership Global Grand Challe